Eloise: BGS Apprentice and Woman of the World!



As it's both National Apprenticeship Week and International Women's Day it would be remiss of us not to hear from another of our wonderful female apprentices. Today Eloise takes over the blog to tell us a little more about her experience at the BGS:


Hi, my name is Eloise, I am an apprentice at BGS and I am going to tell you about my experience so far!
When I finished school at 17 I really didn’t want to go to university; the idea of being in thousands of pounds worth of debt for a degree really didn’t appeal to me, not to mention the fact that I had no idea what career path I wanted to go down. I began as an apprentice in a leisure centre and became a qualified lifeguard / swimming teacher and gym instructor but soon realised that I wanted to expand my learning beyond the limits of a pool.

I started with the BGS in January 2018 after finding a Level 2 Business administration apprenticeship being advertised on the BGS website. Since then I have completed the Level 2 qualification and have been taken on again for another 18 months to complete Level 3.
I learnt more in one year about the working environment through on-the-job training than school ever taught me. 

My first twelve months at BGS went like a flash and it doesn’t seem like 5 minutes since my first day!  The amount of apprentices on site has grown considerably since I joined, and we now have people of all ages, from school leavers to full time staff wanting to learn a new skill. 


Currently my time is split between two teams; Corporate Communications and Business Development. This split has been fantastic for me, as it allowed me to experience the work that the two teams do and find out what I do best. I have a love for meeting and talking to new people, getting involved with projects and I have been really lucky to get involved in some really interesting events, such as the BGS family fun day at our Keyworth office. I love that the public gets to see so many things that they may not realise the BGS does!

At last year’s family fun day I was able to talk to members of the public about all the amazing things I had learnt so far in my apprenticeship and help out with activities for young children. I also helped with the set up and running of the event on the day and collecting feedback from visitors.  
As you can see from the photos, I had a lot of fun… captioned by my colleague Mike Ackroyd ‘Come to BGS and see the world’…. or be the world if you get overexcited like me!

This year’s open day is coming up soon so keep an eye out if you come along… I may or may not be trying out the Dino costume again.







Comments