Finding my feet as a digital marketing apprentice...by Josh McIntyre

I’m Josh McIntyre, a digital marketing apprentice at BGS. I’ve been here now for around 3 months, doing all sorts from product promotion at events like FloodExpo to graphics and illustration for various presentations and projects.

During my first week at BGS I must have met around 100,000 people (at least it felt like that many) while being whizzed around from department to department, all of whom were incredibly friendly. I quickly learned what a wide range of products BGS work on and how much I was going to have to get my head around if I was going to help market all this.


The variety of tasks I have been set has allowed me apply my interests into my work, making my time here so far very enjoyable. My most recent project has been attending FloodExpo and using that experience to create a guide for people attending future events. I had a great time at the event, getting to walk around and see what the flood community has to offer as well as sitting down with people to explain what our SuDS data product is and how it can be used in their industry. This was my first taste of presenting to people outside of BGS and it was no way near as scary as I expected!

Recently I went through my first week of online seminars for my apprenticeship ran by inTraining which covered the fundamentals of digital marketing. Being an apprentice is a strange mix of doing and learning, having been out of education for over a year it was quite strange to go back to a classroom format, even if it was just a virtual one. Over the next year of working here I will have to complete modules on 7 main topics including web development and data analytics.

I’m excited to see how well the knowledge from my apprenticeship and my experience working here will merge together to give me a proper understanding of my field of work.

Comments